Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Life...After Death

I would love to begin this post paying homage to all those who lost their lives in the recent Mumbai attacks (or any of the other recent terrorist attacks, for that matter), & my heartfelt condolences for those near & dear ones of the dead, who are alive, with a glimmer missing in their life somewhere, & still having the courage to move on with life.
Hats off to those NSG commandos who fought with their lives to save a few others!! Kudos to Mumbai to have taken rebirth, more like a phoenix taking rebirth from its own ashes!!

Every time I open the newspaper in the morning these days, I can’t help feeling dejected. I shudder at the very notion of watching the news, lest, there be news of yet another attack in some part of the country, hollowing it from within, eating into the vitals of our nation. Its heartrending, how some people bestow their entire life, to take other’s lives, in the process not even caring if they lost their own or other fellow friends’. Worse still, when its all done in the name of faith for some religion! And miserable still, how politicians & filmmakers & the media use it all to advance their brand names.

I mean, has our communal conflicts overpowered us so much that we can’t see straight with our open eyes how many innocent lives we are taking? How low can we really stoop, so that even if our most piffling wish is not fulfilled, we wouldn’t think twice before picking up a knife & mercilessly slitting someone’s throat??
Indeed, at times I feel, this is not merely a slap on the face of our motherland, but of the entire Humanity. There has to be some fault in the part of the social order, to still nourish such antisocial beings.

What anguishes me most is when I think of the fact, how the entire civilization could have progressed, only if all the energy, the intelligence, the dedication, that is being focused in planning for a mass attack, could have been channeled for the upliftment of the mankind instead!!

As for the rest of the citizens, like me, who today fear stepping out of the house, think twice before enjoying an evening shopping or watching a movie with their loved ones, thinking of their plight often reminds me of those few famous lines by Rabindranath Tagore-

WHERE the mind is without fear and the head is held high
Where knowledge is free.
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments
By narrow domestic walls.
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake!!

Alas!!!

No comments: