Sunday, August 3, 2008

To live in your dreams...

Being an avid reader, I read loads of stuff almost everyday; infact anything and everything that I can lay my hands on. I also generally get influenced by too many things that I pass by. But sometimes merely a simple notion or thought can make you pen down an entire article. That’s exactly the reason why I all of a sudden felt the need to write yet another post in my much ‘controversial’ piece of blog.

The other day, I came across a citation by an eminent personality- ‘Reality is a great place to visit, but I would rather live in my dreams’.
Now I don’t even remember where and when I had read it. All I know is that it has left a deep imprint on my mind. Perhaps because somewhere I could totally relate to it, that I myself believe in living within the shell of my own dream world, rather than the astute reality. Its just like one can actually understand the depth of the lyrics of a romantic song only when one has been through the phase of love at some point of time in life.

To me its an euphoric feeling to lay the foundation of your dream world and then build it wisely into a kind of place you would love to spend your life in, but know that the shackles of ‘reality’ would never let you do so. You feel more like an emperor, rather like the Almighty himself, as you are not only the architect to have designed the entire place, but also its owner, and can maneuver it at your own wish, that too within a split second. What’s more… you don’t even have to put in any effort to do so!!
Infact your ‘thoughts’ is perhaps the only thing that can travel faster than light!!! So just let your thoughts drift into the oblivion…sit back in your cushion and relax….

More often than ever, that is exactly what I do… give wings to my imaginations…

… And I find myself sitting by a beach all alone, just me and my solitude… I can see the blue ocean kissing the horizon with its enormity, and some birds, like tiny dots, flying back to their nests through the clear evening sky. I can listen to the whispering of waves as they come gushing towards me and sweep away with them the soft sand from beneath my feet, instilling into the air a tinge of peace, a dash of serenity… Even the cool breeze envelops me with warmth of fulfillment.

Somewhere at a distance, I can hear a few children playing and laughing their way to glory, with not a streak of worry in their pure minds. I wonder for sometime, how long will this smile remain intact on their face, before it gets lost into a chase for a “successful” career or a so called ‘contented’ life, with all the modern gadgets and amenities to fulfill all their physical needs, but nothing at all to fuel their peace of mind.
A few happy couples lying here and there seem to be totally lost into each other, and a few others collecting shells with their arms around each other’s waist.

Its then that I feel a gentle hand on my shoulders. I turn back to see a smiling face, that very face which in reality I see everywhere my eyes take me to; without whom I feel empty from within, with whom I can talk and talk; and yet what I actually intended to say hesitantly remains preserved in my heart forever; somehow the words just refuse to escape my lips in ‘reality’… But in my dreams, I smile back to him and sit with my head on his shoulders, enjoying the beautiful, welcoming evening. I know that I’ll always have this shoulder to lay myself on, and these hands around me to protect me from the shrewdness outside, forever…

I take my eyes around, to find small cliffs and lines of palm trees… a few sand castles made by the playing children…
No honking of car horns, no cell phones ringing, no blue line buses crossing the footpath and killing roadsiders, no terrorists causing terror in civil hospitals, no two political parties fighting over a ruling position, no teen-suicides over a mere seat in an engineering college…

It gives me a kind of solace I have never felt in years and I just devour it with relish…



I know they tag those, who like me, love to live in their delusionary world, away from the reality, as ‘insane’. As the so called ‘sane’ people say- ‘You shut your eyes from reality doesn’t mean reality shuts its eyes from you too!’. But then, if reality is all about chasing money or job in the name of ‘success’, and in the meantime losing not only your values, but also the petty, perhaps more insignificant, yet joyous elements of life, then I find, to live in your dreams is far more worthwhile. After all, don’t these ‘sane’ people also say, that you get to live just one life and should live it to the fullest?

To me living to the fullest is not about to party till you drop, but to take a stroll along the sea shore with your closest one and keep no count of time…
Not to spend thousands of bucks on a holiday trip to Australia, but to sit in a garden nearby and watch the butterflies playing hide and seek with the flowers…
Not to buy costly gifts for that special one in your life to impress her, but to pluck a flower from the roadside and give it to her as a token of your feelings, and let your eyes do the speaking instead of words…

Indeed!! I wish such a world could actually exist parallel to ‘reality’. I wish I could paint the world according to my dreams. Alas! Its just like you can’t worship God and Mammon at the same time!
But then, I also fear, that if all my wishes come true, I would have no imagination to succumb to, in one of those times when I desperately beg to be free from the fetters of reality.

In the end, I hate to acknowledge, but I know I am also one of those ‘sane’ ones, running after materialistic happiness. In this run I have already gained myself a seat in an engineering college, much to my parents’ and teachers’ pride; and may be in a few years would be someone who can be defined as ‘successful’ too. But what I will never know is, in the long run, how many trivial joys of my life I have actually missed…
By the end of my life, I would know for sure how many years I had in my life… yet I am dubious if I would ever know, how much life I had in my years…

12 comments:

Amborish Biswas said...

nice one...its one of the longest articles u have written till now.....well if i may....i suggest in ur next article try to bring out the essence in a more concentrated form by reducing the length as it dilutes the interest generated!!! but nonetheless a good one to read and relate with....... :)

Achintya Gupta said...

nice post yaar.... really good. I don't think length of blog was a problem, it sort of kept me glued. Sometimes certain things can't be justified in fewer words. wud definitely look fr updates

soumi.datta said...

@achintya...rather than justifying in a few words, i guess the enormity of my dreams become too much...as a result a pretty lengthy post... :)
thanx anyways :)

Anonymous said...

i second your thoughts.
Even i love dwelling in my dreams,
atleast thats where we can go away from harsh realities of life, for a while....
:)
Just came across ur blog, and loved reading it..

Unknown said...

i knw its quite late.. but have jst gone through your blog...i knew you were a good writer but was wrong cozzz... to my surprize i could see a thoughtfull and compassionate writer in you. most of the people who are part and parcel of this extremly competitive world would surely be able to relate themselves with ur thoughts.
it was a pleasure reading your thuoghts and it was wonderful to c some1 keeping there thoughts so beutifully....
will surely wait for the next 1...:)

soumi.datta said...

@mrinal...loong time..must say it was immense pleasure reading ur comment on my blog :)

jasahuja said...

felt really strange to read this post of yrs...coz somewhere i agree and somewhere i dont also

its not always that u tend to prefer dreaming or does it?

sitting at a shore and waves kissing the boulders was a good thought indeed but do write something about when a wave comes with a full splash, it makes every1 wet, who may b dreaming

so my point is that nature or something itself comes to rescue a being to not to get subdued into dreams ... there's lot reality waiting outside....what do u say??

rest was fine...children playing and u turning back to see a smiling face were really a realistic pictures into the post

i liked it

do u write stories???

soumi.datta said...

@jasahuja...neva tried my hand at stories...so dunno if i wud make a gud story writer...to an extent i agree ro ur concern abt nature waking us up from r dreams to reality..but sumhow...i am kind of contented with the dream world i wanted to paint...so dint consider waking up to reality as an option even :)

pseudolegolas said...

when are u going to write a novel..........will surely buy and read that...............see to it that it is not more than 300 pages long.........haan and not to mention that u can make a really good writer..........u can write even if u r not feeling that(a quality of a good writer)

soumi.datta said...

@varun: gimme a plot n il give u da book in like a month.. :D

Subho said...

"if you could design your own dream world and maneuver it according your will" - do you really want to stay in such a world? Won't it be all to predictable ... where's the fun in that? If God did make the world strictly according to his set of rules - then it goes on exactly as he wanted it to be. Then he would never know what it is to be surprised (he already knows everything)... a new thing that he cannot enjoy or may be cannot comprehend! (So you see, he cannot enjoy some of his own creations or was there some snag somewhere and this escaped his notice - in which case there is no such thing as complete control). Which one do you prefer - complete control or the thrill of uncertainty?
And finally is being 'sane' and 'successful' so bad that you (and many others) hate to acknowledge? If all the people were content with the trivial joys of life, the world won't move forward. Its because of the race to be successful, that trivial joys of life become significant to us.

soumi.datta said...

@subhojit...well dats one way of looking at it....yet i wud so much prefer to njoy da trivial joys of life dan running for success...u wana run for it...no1z stopping u ofcourse...i do realise its cuz of dose ppl who run for success..dat trivial joys becum important...so thanx for making da day for kinds like me...