Friday, February 22, 2008

Miracles of solitude...

Someone someday asked me, 'Do you like solitude?'. I couldn't answer him in precise terms then, since I myself was a bit perplexed at the sudden thrust of that 'not-prepared-for' question towards me. And frankly, at that point of time I didn't know how to sum up all the thoughts rising and settling down like waves in my mind, into a single 'yes' or 'no'. but the same thrust of the 'not-prepared-for' question has forced me to pen down some of the disturbances clashing with each other in my head, for quite a long time now, in search for an answer & in search for the unfamiliar side of my own self.
Coming to think of it, I know I have had some of my best and most memorable moments spent in solitude, some such moments which have times and again led to some constructive thought-provoking pondering over scores of grave matters, and have also materialized into significant action. On the contrary, at times I have loathed solitude to the point of taking my own life, just to get out of it.
There have been times, when while talking to the people around me, those very people most of whom I love to call my ‘near-and-dear’ ones, I have sensed envy and selfishness being spat on my face. It compelled me to consider a life with strangers much more worthwhile; atleast strangers have the decency to hide their devilish mindset until you disappear from the view. But even that could do nothing to subvert my high expectations from life, because I knew, whenever everyone threw me off their own back when their purpose was fulfilled, I had my loneliness to embrace, I had my dreams to bring a smile onto my face, grabbing which like a log I could always float away into oblivion to celebrate and rejoice those unforgettable moments spent with ‘solitude’. Infact, those were the times I knew for sure, that life never ends on a bad note, that there is always something better to go to, to take shelter in, when the entire world around you refuse to either see your face or show their face to you for that matter. I never shuddered at the notion of facing loneliness then, since my solitude stood beside me like my own shadow, like a timeless friend who is there to hold you in his arms and let you weep silently on his shoulders, to drain away all the pain stacking in your heart since times immemorial.
But, there have also been times, when instead of being by my side, loneliness has scared me away, pushed me from its protected portals to the big bad world. And me too, like all those selfish people who form a part of the materialistic world, without trying to curb my fear, selfishly got rid of my solitude, and accepted those people with elegance, from the clutches of whom I once begged to be free. And then, in desperation to run away from loneliness, as helpless as a wingless bird I became a part of the brutal world, which was now more than obliged to accept me as one of its own kinds. Thinking of it all, the memories of my celebration with loneliness gets blurred.
I am actually utterly amazed to see my own capability of metamorphosing from one phase of my life to another so neatly, at times clutching onto ‘solitude’ as all that I have, and the very next moment letting it go and falling into prey into those stretched arms of the big bad world , hardly feeling like a prey. In some happy moments I have constantly felt the urge to celebrate, not with my solitude, but with those who cornered me every now and then, and often when they did so, solitude was what I came home to. Alas! I am a part of this selfish world after all!!!!
Thus after all the afterthought to the question and a lot of soul searching, ‘solitude’ still remains like an unsolved mystery to me. Looking back in life, I realize its something which you can’t do without, and can’t do with, simultaneously, however impossible that might seem.
But when it comes to me, I think I still rejoice (and always will), those solitary moments with myself, and only myself, letting my imagination run wild in the vastness of my pool of thoughts and dancing to the rhythm of my dreams, a lot more than those few experiences with me selfishly shedding solitude off my skin as if it’s a mere piece of cloth to cover myself from the wraths of cruelty. Lastly, thanks to that ‘someone’ who asked me the question and forced me to do all the soul searching. I feel ecstatic to have tried my hand (however unsuccessfully) at unraveling the unsolved mystery of ‘solitude’.

19 comments:

Sukdeb Pal said...

In the cool of the night
There was no body in sight
As I sung a quiet song
Another night all alone

I walked thru the campus
See couples enthralled
Holding hands as they walked
Gazing deep as they talked

By the store window I stood
An answer I demanded
In a soul
searching tone
"Why am I alone?"

At night no one cuddled along by my side
An empty passenger seat in bus stared at me as I rode
Favorite movie was playing on desktop
One meal stood alone at my dinner tabletop

Again I asked to what seemed empty air
Why there was no one to listen, no one to share
My dreams and my hopes
As I was climbing the ropes

Even in victory
It was still just me
Who stood in the light
No partner in sight

Why must I walk in complete solitude?
Why must the life be so rude?
Is it too much to ask?
Is that too hard a task?

To have someone with whom to share
Someone about whom I really care
Someone to mingle my life
Someone to ease the strife

I stood in the window thinking it was only me
A ship by itself in the midst of the sea

some.something said...

As the earth spins around its axis at 1000 miles per hour and tries to woo the mighty sun at 67,000 miles per hour it seems we are chasing our dreams with blown up lungs and empty stomach, competing with the earth. I don’t have time to take that single piece of bread with a sprinkle of salt every morning for which after all I am rushing to my work. We today earnestly need something to rejuvenate our failing nerves or aching backs and to straighten the waves on our foreheads. I feel I need to maintain some semblance of balance and some sense that I am the captain of my life. I want to feel sometimes that I have the steering wheel of my life and that money, power and honor are nothing for me.
Here I employ an old companion — a few stolen moments of, solitude.
That said, what initially perplexed me was the similarity and difference between solitude and loneliness, though the two terms are often used interchangeably. A passing glance says solitude and loneliness are not only alike but are the same. Both are characterized by solitariness. But all resemblance ends at the facade.
Loneliness is a negative state, marked by a sense of seclusion. One feels that something is mislaid. It is possible to be with people and still feel lonely—perhaps the most bitter form of loneliness. On the other hand solitude is the state of mind where I am alone without being lonely. It is a positive and constructive state of engagement with oneself. Solitude is desirable, a state of being alone where I provide myself wonderful and sufficient company.
On a day when my life denies me the right to breath, my life squeezes out the last sap and my lovers arms do not comfort me, on that night standing all alone in the balcony of my flat I stare at the vast emptiness of the horizon and take three deep breaths. The silence of the moment, the unending resonance of my wrist watch and the fluttering of the towel hanging on the line in the night breeze solves all my problems for a moment. This is solitude for me which pronounces peaceful stemming from a state of inner richness. In other words, it replenishes me for the next grind.
Loneliness is unsympathetic, punishment, a paucity state, a state of restlessness marked by a sense of estrangement, an attentiveness of excess aloneness. When my last hope breaks, when I am left all alone in the crowd fighting and fending for me, when I don’t have a shoulder to cry I am lonely and this silence is the sound of loneliness. Solitude is something you choose. Loneliness is imposed on you by others.

I think Miss Soumi has a firm grip on the finer nuances of English literature and the deeper curves of human mind. Looking forward to read more from you.

soumi.datta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pseudolegolas said...

Hail almighty soumi.................you are a very good writer..............looking forward to some more posts from you................

Gabbar said...

hey,
I'v also passed through the same situation..seems u have copied my one..
neway nice one!
looking forward to see some more from you.

Impressionist said...

"Solitude by choice.
Darkness uncertainly reigns.
Nay, the shadows rule."

nice post there!

-I

Nitesh Bhatia said...

Try to search your soul little deeper and think for the answer of this question : " Do you believe in miracles? "

You will definitely find the answer to your question ... :-)

unforgiven said...

Solitude is that friend, that we can't stand, nor can we live without. It's a love/hate relationship really.

We need it, just in the right dose.

Sunny Gene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sunny Gene said...

Ships that pass in the night, and speak each other in passing,
Only a signal shown, and a distant voice in the darkness;
So on the ocean of life, we pass and speak one another,
Only a look and a voice, then darkness again and a silence.

Sunny G..

Shambhavi said...

Hey...
juz passed by ur blog while surfin thru...
gone thru ur post..n it rly felt as if i ws readin my own thoughts...in fact m sure all of us can actually relate 2 wat u hav tried 2 express...n the reason is the beautifully penned down thoughts...ur expression is rly commendable...wish u all the luck 4 ur future...seemz u r in IIT-D...
n hey...keep writin... :)

Rajesh V said...

Soumi, "Miracles of solitude" seems to be a spontaneous outflow of nice thoughts. I hope you'll consider the following lines...

The thoughts in your solitude represents who really you are.. Because the thoughts are proactive and not reactive... Solitude is a pleasure.. Universal loneliness of each soul is what makes the life challenging and interesting...



And, "helpless as a wingless bird" line is nice... keep it up.....

Anil Sharma said...

Solitude is the salt that seasons the dish of life. You should have just the right amount of it. Neither a pinch lesser nor a pinch more.

Anil Sharma said...

Very profound thoughts I must say!

kyamaloom said...

Read this:
http://scrawlingmyself.blogspot.com/2007/12/loneliness-solitude-insitutionlized.html

Unknown said...

hi soumi ! it was fun reading about ur first crush and the miracles of solitude. you do sound like a really grown up soumi dutta now! the reunion was not that great this time. very few reported for the dinner. anyway, this is a tradition which is there to stay whether people come or not. hope u people make it next year.
love
mathur mam

soumi.datta said...

@ mathur ma'am...i actually felt gr8 hearing from you after such a long time...as of growing up..one is bound to grow up away from the protected portals of school rite?i heard abt the reunion from ashutosh...i so much wanted to make it this time but everytime my internship screws it up :(

staringatmyself said...

How can you write such big and complex things,its really amazing to see that.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.